Friday 12 September 2008

What's in Your Fridge?

Why fall into the cliché of being a student who can't cook...ok I'm no Jamie Oliver, but I enjoy cooking. And I value the importance of a healthy diet. Before coming over to the UK for a 4-year stint away from the parents and their culinary mastery, I had them show me a couple of dishes. 

Didn't quite turn out the same when I got here though. Must be the British water. 

Anyway, every week, I cook food in bulk and eat it over the course of the week. This saves me a lot of time and energy since I don't have to bother with it during the school week, unless I decide to whip up an omelette. For my grocery shopping, I've come up with a system. I know I want to be eating about 5 meals a day, meaning 35 meals per week. So here's my breakdown:

Chilli - 7 days/wk
Low fat yoghurt with natural peanut butter and chocolate protein powder - 7 days/wk
Berries and milk - 6 days/wk
Spinach and cheese omelette - 2 days/wk
Chicken breast with carrots or peppers - 6 days/wk
Breakfast shake (milk/cottage cheese/banana/peanut butter/bit of honey/protein powder) - 7 days/wk

Total tally comes out to 35 total meals. I figure out what ingredients I need for each meal and buy enough to last me the week. All this costs me about £25/wk. Every other week, I go down to the local fast food joint (of recent has been an amazing Indian place) and gorge down. Can't eat healthy all the time! Oh, and I love Nutella too. 

You are what you eat...so what's in your fridge?

1 comment:

Destemperado said...

Sometimes i Look up and into my fridge

It is the greatest thing in the world